Chief's Corner - Chief Larry Gaspar, OFE
First, let me thank all of our residents for voting yes on your local fire levies. This tax increase was necessary to continue to upgrade and protect the residents we service. These funds will enable us to provide adequate staffing, especially during out daytime hours. We will be:
- Replacing a 2013 Ambulance in 2024
- Continuing 24/7 Fire / Paramedic Protection
- Adding one part time position from 6am-6pm in each of the three years, to help combat peak emergency call times and overlapping incidents.
- Continuing child fire prevention in the schools
- Continuing fire prevention and protection services, including the review of a new buildings and business, and home inspections for adoption services.
- Fire extinguisher training for businesse employees
- CPR and First Aid Training for the public
- Replacement of firefighter turnout gear
- Continued excellence in vehicle maintenance
- Continuing education for fire and paramedic personnel
- Continuing to see alternative funding sources, such as through grants.
Thank you for your support.
Please be careful during these winter months, as our calls for holiday related accidents and fires always increases. Slow down, leave more room for snowplows and emergency vehicles, and take extra care in supervising children during the holiday season.
Our community CPR/AED training program, coupled with your downloading the new Pulsepoint Respond App will help save lives in Geauga County. We have instructors trained in the national Stop The Bleed program, as well as Heartsaver First Aid/CPR. Our fire prevention bureau provides free home safety assessments, as well as residential knox boxes for easy firefighter access.
You can interact with us on our Facebook page, our Twitter feed (@chardonfire), or via this website. We often tweet out alerts, fire calls, and public service announcements, and you can listen to us on the Broadcastify website link at the top of the page, 5-0 Radio App, and Police Scanner App under Geauga County Public Safety. The Pulsepoint App also has an audio feed and listing of Geauga County calls. Feel free to call my office at any time to discuss department matters at 440-285-4665. And be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
-Chief Larry Gaspar, OFE
Chardon Fire Department, Ohio